Sunday, November 27, 2022

Advent: Hope

As Christians prepare to celebrate the coming of Christ, church congregations around the world consider four themes: Hope, Love, Joy, and Peace.  I like to meditate on what each theme meant to Israel as they awaited their Messiah and what each means to us today as we await the return of Christ. 

 

Hope must have been difficult to cling to as the people waited, generation after generation, for prophesy to be fulfilled.  Sometimes, it seems as that we will never see the fulfillment of God’s promise of a new heaven and a new earth without sin, death or sorrow.

 

As He was faithful to his promises to the children of Israel, He will be faithful to his promises to us.  King David faced challenges worse than we can imagine, yet he held on to hope.  As we look back on the coming of the promised Messiah, let’s remember David’s words and make them our own.

 

Psalm 39:7  “And now, Lord, for what do I wait? My hope is in You.

 

Psalm 62:5  My soul, wait in silence for God only, For my hope is from Him.

 

Psalm 71:14  But as for me, I will hope continually, And will praise You yet more and more.

 

Psalm 119:116  Sustain me according to Your word, that I may live; And do not let me be ashamed of my hope.

 

Psalm 119:166  I hope for Your salvation, O Lord, And do Your commandments.

 

Psalm 130:5  I wait for the Lord, my soul does wait, And in His word do I hope.

 

Psalm 146:5  How blessed is he whose help is the God of Jacob, Whose hope is in the Lord his God

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving your comments! I love to read what you all think.